Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amdfanboy

6 wires, 1 outlet

amdfanboy
13 years ago

I was replacing an outlet at my parents house, it had 1 red wire in the back, 1 black in the back, and the rest of the wires where in the screws. Problem is I tried to put the 1 black wire in the back, and it wouldn't stay in, and then it broke off. Right now its wired the 2 black wires around the screw, and I don't know if thats safe or not.

Comments (4)

• joed
    13 years ago

Two wires around one screw is not correct. Get a wire nut and put the together with another sort wire(pigtail) and put the pigtail under the screw.

• amdfanboy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, thanks. I didn't know if it was a fire hazard or not. I fixed it today. I got the black wire to stay in the hole.

I do construction work with my cousin, and never had to put wires in the hole cause I never messed with that many wires. My parents needed a new outlet badly. My one friends dad passed away cause of electric issues in their house so I am trying to do my best. I didn't do electric in that house, but it was an older house. The dad made sure all 7 kids got out of the house, and he went back in for his wife, and she almost didn't make it at the hospital, and he was dead from smoke inhalation.

I hate house fires, and do my best to prevent them.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

The 'push in connections' are not very reliable long term.

There are also back wired devices that use a screw to keep the wire in the hole, not just a spring.

They are actually usually very good (and cost more than the cheap receptacles).

While it is not against code to use a device to make multiple connections between wires, it often turns into a PITA to get the wires all back into the box.

Pigtails allow for all the wires to be arranged in the box with only three (two if you do not have a ground) needing to be folded back in when the device is installed.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

amdfanboy-
    From your description, it's hard to tell if everything is wired correctly and safely. Do yourself a favor and get some help from someone who knows wiring...a friend or an electrician. Also, pick up an illustrated book on basic home wiring before you get hurt or have a fire.

I'm not lecturing you...it's just the voice of experience speaking. When I first started doing my own wiring, I did some things that I thought were logical and safe...but weren't. After I got more experience, I corrected them. I am worried about things you say like: "I got the black wire to stay in the hole." That could be a problem waiting to happen...