Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookncarpenter

Help me with a three way switch!

cookncarpenter
11 years ago

Spent all day yesterday trying to get a three way to work to no avail. I'm a carpenter, not an electrician, but I know I've wired a three way before...
Here's what I had existing: switch A controls light A, and switch B controls light B independently. I want to be able to control both lights at the same time using either switch. I ran 14-3 between the two switches, and could not get any combination of wiring to succeed. An electrical supply place said I needed to run another 14-2 in addition to the three wire I ran, so I did. Now I have 5 wires going between two switches - two blacks, two whites, and one red. Going from each switch to each light, I have the standard existing two wire, (black and white). With three terminals on each switch, which wires go where?? I've exhausted what I think is every combination I could come up with, and the best I could get is to turn both lights of and on at one switch, but not off at the other... I've been on line to find a diagram, but can not find one with my particular existing set up... Advice anyone?

Comments (3)