Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speaker wires through wall -- CL2 rating?

Posted by mrblandings (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 12 at 9:14

I want to run speaker wires from an adjacent room through a hole drilled in an interior wall. The wires will be outside of the wall except for the 4" section where they run through the wall from one room to the other. Does this count as an 'in wall' application requiring CL2 rated wire, or can I use ordinary speaker wire?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speaker wires through wall -- CL2 rating?

"Does this count as an 'in wall' application requiring CL2 rated wire..."

Well technically, yes, it should be in-wall rated cable.

But unless you are using that cheap clear and gold colored speaker wire, it may already be in-wall rated. Does it have a CM rating stamped on it?

If it is that cheap clear and gold colored speaker wire, I'd recommend something better regardless. I've seen the conductors on that stuff oxidize in no time.

BTW - I'm assuming this is simple home audio and not a commercial 70 Volt distributed audio system.

o

Thanks. Yes, this is just simple home audio. The speaker wire I have has no CM rating on it, so I'll go ahead and order some in-wall rated wire from monoprice.

o

Good choice. You'll find the in-wall rated wiring some much easier to work with, both in and out of the wall. I also have had very good results with monoprice - of course I'm in Northern California and if i order by 2pm it's at my door the next morning!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here