Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Underfloor radiant heating & separate circuit

Posted by hellobritt (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 9:12

I've bought a 120v 15sqft underfloor radiant heat from warming systems. The system uses 180W. The bathroom in which the system will be installed has its own 20A circuit. Should I run a separate circuit for the radiant system or add it to the existing circuit? Yes, hair dryers, curling irons ect will be used on the circuit. There is also a few lights and an exhaust fan.

I have some left over 14 AWG wire that will work for the new circuit if required, however, in the panel, I only have a 20A tandem breaker with one of the breakers still available. Is it OK to use the 14AWG with the 20A breaker if the radiant system is the sole load? Thank you

Here is a link that might be useful: Warming Systems 15 sqft radiant system details

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Underfloor radiant heating & separate circuit

"Is it OK to use the 14AWG with the 20A breaker if the radiant system is the sole load?"

NO, you need 12 ga with the 20A or a 15A breaker for the 14 ga.

o

Either get the get wire or get the right breaker.
Just because you have an open spot on a twin breaker does not mean you have to use it. A twin breaker is like $15, get another. I bet your floor heat was WAY more than that.

o

180w? That's less than the 3 lite bulbs I have in my bathroom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here