Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AFCI code questions

Posted by david_cary (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 25, 10 at 9:11

I am finishing a basement. I have wired about 7 new circuits as follows. 2 general receptacle, 2 lighting circuits, 2 dedicated circuits for central vacuum and sewer pump and 1 for bathroom receptacle and unfinished area.

Which circuits need AFCI?

Is it okay to run 12/2 to bathroom receptacle and tie off that for a few outlets in unfinished area (to just use the 1 GFCI outlet)? Obviously a 20 amp breaker and 12/2 throughout.

I am still unclear if light circuits in unfinished space needs to be GFCI protected. It seems like that would be crazy overkill but the whole outlet/receptacle name change confuses me.

Last question (unlikely) is that I have 1 outlet circuit outside that ties into my general outlet circuit (finished space), is it okay to put the GFCI inside (for longevity)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AFCI code questions

Pretty much all the finished living space with the exception of kitchens and bathrooms require AFCI for the 120V 15 or 20A circuits under the 2008 NEC. Doesn't matter if it is a lighting or receptacle outlet.

Bathrooms require their own 20A circuit for the receptacles (in some cases you can use it for other BATHROOM purposes). You can not feed the unfinished basement or other areas from that circuit.

Only the 120V 15 or 20A receptacles in the unfinished areas need GFCI. Largely lights never need GFCI except when their instructions specify it (commonly, certain wet area fixtures).

There's no restriction as to where the GFCI is located. You can use a GFCI breaker in the panel, you can put it in a legal receptacle location and feed through the protected side, or you can put it at the point of use.

o

Thanks for the quick answers. It sounds like I would need 4 afci. I assume that I don't need it for the dedicated lines (which are in unfinished space). I'll make the receptacles GFCI although I am pretty sure the sewer pump would not be GFCI.

That all seems like a lot of GFCI and AFCI but oh well.

o

GFCI's are cheap. A GFCI receptacle at the first position on the circuit can protect the other ones.

The AFCI change to the 2008 NEC is pervasive yes.

If the sewer pump is hardwired, it needs not be GFCI. The central vac if it's in the unfinsished space and plug connected (most are) will need it.

o

Before spending the money, you should check with your local inspection people or state and see what policies of the NEC 2008 they have adopted. Ours rejected the need for AFCIs in rooms other than bedrooms because they can cause problems with TVs, etc.

o

If he's in NC (just a wild guess that Cary is the town rather than his last name), then full up compliance with 2008 is required.

o

Yep. NC is definitely 2008 NEC required and Cary is pretty strict itself. We already have 10 AFCI breakers for the rest of the house.

o

Have to make as much money as possible before patents expire ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here