Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikedpga

Getting the most out of a transfer switch & generator

Mikedpga
11 years ago

Hi,

I have a 10,500 starting, 7,500 running generator and a reliance 10 circuit transfer switch that was professionally installed and working properly.

My question is can I (meaning a professional electrician) add more circuits (lights and outlets mostly) to the transfer switch? right now all the switch wires are connected to the electrical box. Can an electrician splice and/or add more circuits to the transfer switch?

On the 110v switches I currently have lights/outlets on a couple switches; my microwave has its own switch, fridge and 2 outlets on another switch. As far as the 220v switches go, I have 2 baseboard heat units connected, and my water pump.

What I really wanted is my water pump and water heater connected on the two 220v switches if that�s possible to do? And can I add more lights/outlets to already wired 110v transfer switches?

I ultimately want my generator to run as much of the house as possible. I am not even coming close to half capacity on my generator. My current generator usage is only 25-30% when on gen. power. (I know this due to LCD panel on generator) with everything running except the baseboard heating.

Water pump, fridge, microwave do not run all the time as you know. With everything listed above and two baseboard heating units on 80 degrees, the generator runs at 60%. I would give up my baseboard heating for the water pump, and just get a portable electric heater to warm us up instead while on generator power)

What is the amps on a water eater, and i think min s 30A. Is there a way to convert 30 amps to work on my Reliance transfer switch? Or is there a way to directly plug in the water heater to the generator or something similar to this setup so I can have the water heater also working when the power is out?

Thanks so much for the help with all of this!!

Comments (4)

• Ron Natalie
    11 years ago

An electric water heater? Depends on the size. I've seen little ones that have 20A plugs on them. If it requires a 30A circuit, you're not going to get it on that transfer switch.

The problem is the transfer switch can only switch branch circuits. Since you're stuck at a half a dozen 120 branch circuits, you need to be selective in which ones you put on the switch. You might be able to move around some loads on your main panel to get the ones you want on the switch.

A 30A hwh is going to chew up almost that entire generator (and already exceeds the capacity of that poor reliance panel which is only 20A anyhow).

My suggestion would be to put a propane HWH (Or natural gas if available in your area). My Rinnai tankless will run fine with only a half an amp or so of power to power it's control circuits. Much less than it takes to run my well pump.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

Is this an automatic transfer switch or a manual one?

You can run pretty much anything you want with that generator, but only one at a time, sort of. Resistance heating of air or water takes a lot of power. Big motors take a lot of power to start up. Motors will easily take up twice the running current in starting. Look at your meters when your pump triggers and see what happens!

As an illustration, you can sometimes start up a big load and then when it settles down, add smaller loads that would be too much while staring a pump. This really does not apply to your case, however, since the water pump will be on and off a lot.

Ronnatalie is right, if you want to run all of that suff seamlessly, you need a bigger generator, much bigger. If you want to be selective and run large loads, like the water heater and pump, one at a time, install a manual transfer switch and use the circuit breakers to turn everything else off.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

My friend does something similar. However, his generator is connected directly to the main panel through a manual interloc/transfer switch. So when the power goes out, he goes to the panel, operates the interlock, turns off loads he does not need, starts the generator, then switches it into the panel.

Since the HWH is already hot, he turns that off. He turns it on when he needs it, but sheds other loads (pump, kitchen stuff, etc) for the 30 minutes it takes to heat up the water.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

What I will probably do in planning a generator installation is have an ATS to run the refrig and freezer alone. Maybe run nothing else but I have to think about pipe heaters and heat to keep the pipes from freezing in the rare freezing event here. That is all I really care about if I am not home.

Then I will probably have it arranged so I can disconnect from the ATS and use a manual transfer switch enabling me to select additional loads. I will want enough capacity to run a couple of mini splits, but I have proven that 6500 W is enough to keep the food cold and run those.

It may be that is not much less expensive than a bigger genset to run the whole house. I'll just have to get estimates when the time comes.