Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lutron bathroom fan control trouble

Posted by hhlodge (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 8:52

Hi,

The bathroom fan in our rental is a Lutron FS-F5 Rotary Fan Speed Control. This switch wasn't turning on the fan. The landlord had someone come in an do something and it worked for a week then stopped. I plugged the fan into an extension cord to test and it's fine. I replaced this fan control with a single pole on/off switch and no go. Oddly, there's two red wires hooked to the switch, but because of the paint spray on all the wires I can't really trace the source(s). Any clue why the switch is tempermental or why the wiring is as it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lutron bathroom fan control trouble

This switch isn't designed for exhaust fans but for paddle fans.
I suspect the reason the regular switch didn't work is you wired it wrong.

Unless you are an electrician you have no business poking around at apartment building wiring. It's illegal and unsafe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here