Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1800 watt device

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 14, 10 at 8:30

I'm thinking of buying a portable induction cooktop for my home. One model uses 1800 watts. Is it going to blow fuses in my house? I'm thinking of using it in rooms other than the kitchen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1800 watt device

1800 watts on a 120v = 15 amps. If anything else is on, that would trip a 15amp breaker. That is the most common size for bedrooms, dining rooms etc.

o

I would only use the device on 20 amp circuits in GFCI protected recepticles.

o

This cooktop is a 120 volt model? Plug-in 120V heating appliances >1500 watts are unusual, but not unheard of. Some hair dryers and toasters are 1800+ watts, but these are typically used for just a few minutes at a time. I would not use this cooktop for long periods on a 15A circuit, even if there is nothing else on the circuit. Of course, if there are multiple heating elements, and you're not using them all, you should be OK on a 15A circuit even of it's used for an extended period.
Check the manual to see if a 20A circuit is required. If so, I'd expect the cooktop to have a 20A plug on the cord. I guess this would depend on whether the unit is designed for "continuous use."

o

1800watts is a rating. The device probably will never actually draw that much. If it comes with a 15 amp cord and plug then it is designed to be used on a regular cirucit. I would not be using anything alse on the circuit at the time.

o

Thanks for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here