Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are 6 LED lights (65W equivalent) enough for 210 sq ft?

Posted by janesylvia (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 3:58

I have small living room and family room. About 210 sq ft for each room. Would 6 LED lights (65W equivalent, 640 lumens for Halo or 600 lumen for Lithonia Lighting) in each room be enough?

I'd like to have 2 dimmers installed in each room, 1 dimmer controlling 3 lights. Is Lutron dimmer for LED good?

Thank you very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are 6 LED lights (65W equivalent) enough for 210 sq ft?

Depends on the shape. 210ft is an area, the shape is just as important.
On a purely basic level it should be fine.

Anything from Lutron is good.

o

Just like other types of light bulbs, LED lights have their ups and downs. The good part is their lifetime and their energy efficiency, as they last the longest and cost the least; however they are much more expensive to purchase and, honestly, they do not do real well as a flood light compared to others, their best job is as a spot light, just like in a flashlight, however this is just my opinion. I use LED lights for my trouble light and my work bench light, but halogen floods elsewhere. But this is in a shop.

o

Never believe the MYTH of the "equivalent wattage." Look at the lumens out or try the bulb in a fixture to see how it works for you. While some of the early R30 replacements were about HALF as bright as the "equivalent" incandescent, the newer ones I have (Lowe's Utilitech brand) fair better. Don't get me started on the Lowe's "fake" brands. Those are all over the place as well. I got a whole tray of bad 9V batteries from them.

o

Thank you very much for all the responses. It's about 13'x16' space, 8' high ceiling.

Would 6 LED lights (2 rows, each 620 lumens) be enough or better go for 9 lights (3 rows)? For 6 LEDs? I am going to have two CL dimmers, each controlling 3 lights.

Thank you very much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here