Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1985 Dom Perignon - Too Old?

Posted by TellerRed (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 05 at 22:29

Hi!

I received a 1985 Dom Perignon Cuvee champagne in 1993 or so and kept it in the back of my closet in its box ever since. Does anyone know if it is too old, and would have gone bad? I saw online that the latest vintage is 1998, so maybe it goes in 8 year cycles and would be great in '06? Or am I reaching for a pattern that has no significance?

Happy Holidays!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1985 Dom Perignon - Too Old?

Your champagne should be fine, since you stored it away from light and heat.
Vintage just refers to the production year, and doesn't mean you have to wait until a certain time to consume the wine.
Enjoy!

o

It should be fine as long as the cork has not shrunk away from the bottle and allowed air to enter.

(I unfortunately have had this happen!)

Cheers,

Susan

o

Awesome, thanks! I guess we'll have it for New Year :)

o

Well, how was it? Just curious

o

Recently, we received a bottle of 1988 Dom as a gift. We were so excited about it, but we were very disappointed to have to put it down the sink. It was terrible.

I don't know how it had been stored, but I have to assume it was not stored properly.

o

if anyone has wine that they think is too old, I'll volunteer my palate to try it out for you :-)

o

From experience living in France, I can tell you that your Champagne will be no good. It is much too old.

o

Every year the winemakers in Champagne decide if the grapes were good enough to make a vintage, hence the gaps. If the year is not a vintage year they will make NV wines which is a blend of other years.

"From experience living in France, I can tell you that your Champagne will be no good. It is much too old. "

Not true at all. If stored properly aged Champagne is truly awesome. It will lose some of it bubbles but those bready, citrus flavors turn more candied and caramel like.

o

"If stored properly, aged Champagne is truly awesome. It will lose some of it bubbles but those bready, citrus flavors turn more candied and caramel like."

I can tell that you have little experience with vintage wine. Wine or Champagne will improve with age to a certain point, but, if you like yucky tasting junk, keep your vino for 20 years before drinking, and you will find out what I am talking about.

o

I'm sorry frenchy but dgriff is right. My FIL bought a bottle of champagne when my DH was born and saved it for our first born. It was 27 years old and absolutely wonderful.

Karen
who lives in France

o

I personally disagree with everyone. Let me explain why. In the summer of 1999, I was traveling throughout southern France with my colleague Pierre. We rented a small Geo Metro and decided to pursue our dream of hiking to the top of Melebrea Mountain on the west coast of France, outside of a town called Beaujeau. I'll never forget the wind was blowing just right, a warm breeze to accompany the cool atmosphere. It was atop of this beautiful mountain where I dropped my pants and took the best poop of my life. I owe it to a 1965 bottle of Dom Perignon I drank earlier that day.

The point of my story: No matter what age, Champagne is a glorious experience.

o

1999 was a terrible vintage for GeoMetros.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here