Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipes with wine

Posted by jsbabygirl06 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 7, 08 at 11:19

I am looking for drink recipes to use with wine, I have both a sweet red wine and semi sweet white wine from a local winery.

I have to admit I have not yet learned to appreciate wine...lol but I am trying

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Gluewein

Having just returned from our annual December pilgrimage to Munich where we renewed our love for "Gluewein" (and beer!), I've been making a batch every week. Gluewein is the hot, spiced red or white wine sold at every Cristkindlemarkt in all of the burgs and dorfs in Germany, and translates to something like "Glow Wine". It is such a treat to warm you up in cold weather! If you are making it in large quantities (i.e. for a party) use a crockpot. Here's my version:

In a medium saucepan on low heat, mix together 2 c water, 1/2 c sugar, 1 stick of cinnamon (crumbled), and 5-6 whole cloves. Simmer for at least 10-20 min. to bring out the spice flavors.
Add the rind and juice of one orange and one lime or lemon. Simmer for another 10-20 min. (or longer).
Add one bottle of inexpensive red wine (or white, if you prefer) and heat but DO NOT BOIL!
You can use a strainer or slotted spoon to remove the rinds and spices. Serve hot in cups. Zum Volle!

This is the perfect recipe for some of the boxed supermarket wines. I've been using Banrock Station Merlot. Don't use the good stuff here...it won't be appreciated. You can also refrigerate it and reheat in the microwave. For an extra punch, add a bit of "schnapps" or liquor such as rum, to the cup before serving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here