SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoyess

Best tips on building a wine cellar

hoyess
15 years ago

My husband and I are hoping to convert a 7 x 10.5 foot storage room in our basement into a wine cellar. I have read a lot of the tips on-line but thought I would ask here if anyone has any special things we should consider. Some other questions we have are:

What is the best cooling unit? There is a KoolR system that vents inside the house that we are considering although there is an exterior wall we can vent to if that is better. How much noise does the KoolR (old name ChillR) make if anyone knows? We have two fridge style wine coolers downstairs now & they are fairly quiet & not on often.

I've read something about venting into the ceiling? Does this mean I can put it in the ceiling & vent between the floors? How noisy would this be (the room is below my kitchen). How about into my existing duct system -- how much humidity & noise would this involve if we did this?

What is the best floor option? We are thinking of using slate. Right now the floor is unfinished concrete.

Does painting the walls hold up? (I know we have to use greenboard). Our contractor also recommended he can do a plaster stone treatment over the boards -- is that necessary re humidity?

We have a dishwasher above the storage area. If I put extra insulation there will this be sufficient re any vibrations?

Thanks all. Any other tips from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Sharon

Comments (12)

Sponsored