Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
apple mush with pectic enzyme

Posted by happyday (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 1:00

I read somewhere to add pectic enzyme and yeast to apple pulp left after extracting juice and set it to ferment in a bucket. OK so I did that last month, now what do I do with it? It didn't all turn to liquid, like I thought it might. That pectic enzyme isn't magic. Or maybe the pectic enzyme was old and no longer working like it should?

Anyway after a month I have beige soft pulp that smells like yeast. I think I'm going to put it in the compost.

Wish I had frozen it as applesauce instead.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: apple mush with pectic enzyme

Compost sounds good for the pulp, ..I feed it to the deer, not sure why you want to add pectic enzyme?

o

I don't presume to be an expert (see all of my beginner questions on the forum) - but my understanding that one adds pectic enzyme to control the gelling nature of fruit pulp. They say "haze" - however, anyone that has ever made jam or jelly - is familiar with the property of pectin - which is what makes fruit turn thick - like jelly. While most fruit contains natural pectin - it is not a desirable quality in making wine - thus I think the addition of pectic enzyme controls this.

I didn't have much success with my apple-to-wine venture, mainly because the apples failed to produce much juice - so I used the pulp to make apple waffles and apple sweet bread. Sorry - can't help there.

Bejay

o

The pectic enzyme helps with the final clearing of the wine, from slightly cloudy to clear. It's purpose is not breaking down the pulp. After you let all the pulp settle to the bottom of the carbuoy, you rack just the liquid off the top. After the yeast has finished is when it should start to clear with the pectic enzyme. It has been my experience that it won't clear if the yeast is still active in there. To clear a cloudy wine at this stage, you need to add bentonite, sparkaloid, chitosan, islinglass. The pectic enzyme is not for this purpose. It is added at the start so that, when the wine is finished, you are not also dealing with pectin, which can be an addition clearing problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here