Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What wine with Chinese food? Maybe beer??

Posted by suse17 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 5, 06 at 0:28

I'm looking for recommendations for wine to serve at a dinner party at a chinese buffet. The menu is huge and varied, and I only want to supply one or maybe two wines - and both should be kind to my budget.

Is there anything that would work with a varied menu? My other alternative is to serve Chinese beer, or offer beer and one wine.

What do you think?

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What wine with Chinese food? Maybe beer??

Well, I'll answer my own question. We served Tsingtao Chinese beer (pronounced, I found out, "Ching Dow"), and a Riesling, something I found was more or less universally recommended for Cantonese style food if you were only serving one wine. Everything was well received - and the beer was especially appreciated by the Chinese wait staff at the restaurant since we asked each of them to help themselves to a bottle if they wished.

o
RE: What wine with Chinese food? Maybe beer??

Just saw this or I would have posted earlier. There was a Chinese guy in Manhattan who was a wine freak - was on a mission to show that wine worked w Chinese food. Great restaurant and great wines. He finally sold his place (Henry's, on 1st Ave) and moved to Napa to open a restaurant.

You did well.

Problem w much Chinese food is the salt levels - soy sauce, fermented beans, etc. So reds, especially tannic reds, can taste really wierd. Cantonese tends to be lighter with a lot of seafood, so I would go with whites. People recommend gwertztraminer - OK I guess, but chenin blanc, sauvignon blanc, and some others work better. I would avoid anything that has noticable oak and instead look for something with light, crisp flavors and lots of acidity. Riesling can be perfect as it comes in so many guises.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here