Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottles

Posted by ladylotus (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 24, 08 at 22:21

Greetings,

I am a lucky recipient of approximately 60 bottles. Yesterday, I tried removing the labels, cleaning the bottles and then sterilizing them. However, I have about 25 of them that I could not get the glue off the bottle where the labels were. Does anyone have a sure fire way of easily removing the glue?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

~Tj~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottles

Paper towel, paint thinner & IF it's really stubborn a scraper blade..

Works for me every time!!

o

Acetone nail polish remover, buy the big, cheap bottles available at Walmart and drug stores. It should do the trick for you, too!

Allison

o

Thank you. I will give these techniques a try. I have to get all these bottles off of my counter soon. ha ha.

~Tj~

o

Make sure you buy 100 percent acetone and not just run of the mill nail polish remover. The nail polish remover is made to be gentle on nails and is not pure acetone usually. Read labels.

Also, heat can soften some types of glue and follow by scraping. You don't have to resort to chemicals. Fill bottle with hot water and let the heat do the work softening. This method will keep the glue warm and soft while working on it.

o

Soak and scrape. Keep the acetone off the bottles.

o

I find that WD40 works very good, spray on the label and let it sit for a few minutes then scape off wiht a sharp knife and wash off in hot soapy water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here