Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering grapes

Posted by snowguy716 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 07 at 19:51

I hope this is the right forum for this!

I purchased 3 Kay Grape vines this summer at a nursery. I live in northern Minnesota (zone 3a/b). The U of MN extension says that Kay is very hardy but might need winter protection in northern Minnesota.

I planted the grapes pretty close to our house (about 2 feet from the house) on the side that faces directly south, so it gets full sun plus reflective heat from the house, which I've heard is best for grapes, especially this far north.

What should I do to protect the grape vines? Should I wrap them in burlap?

Also, should I trim them back now to make protecting them easier or should I wait until spring to trim back some of the excess growth?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering grapes

I'd recommend posting this over on the fruits and orchards forum and see if any of the experts there have some ideas. You're pretty far north of me so I can't be of too much help - for me, winter prep of grapes entails only a little trimming and a light layer of mulch for the roots. Normally I'd recommend a dormant pruning either in the fall or early spring back to 10 or so buds based on the trellis system but I don't know how much winter kill you'll get thus it's a little hard to tell (leaning towards pruning in spring).

I think your positioning of the grapes is excellent for your climate in that it'll keep them warmer by a bunch and the summer growth should be early. I don't know whether burlap or a combination of painting leaders white and providing some cover will be the best protection. I can tell you that rodents really love it if you get any mulch directly against the grapes so please be careful on that aspect. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here