Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using hops/ recipes

Posted by vmarcos68 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 12, 06 at 18:54

How do you use hops in beer making?
Ive used it green as a tea added to wort.
Has anyone ever lightly roasted hops. Is it steeped in the mash then filtered or added cold afterwards to the fermenter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using hops/ recipes

Hops are used a couple of ways in beer making ... one way is to boil the hops for a long (15 minutes to an hour or so) time to release compounds that produce the bitter taste in a beer and add to the preservative qualities. The other way is to add hops at the end of a boil or "dry hopped" into the primary or secondary fermenter to add aroma and the lighter hop flavors that are found the volatile oils (those that are boiled off during fermentation).

I've never tried making a tea out of the hops, I just throw them in and get going. You can use both whole leaf hops and processed, pelleted, hops towards the same result. Depending on when they are added, they are left behind during racking from the primary to the secondary or the racking just prior to bottling - all except using whole hops seem to drop to the bottom very easily so racking isn't difficult; for whole hops, they have a tendency to float so I just cover the end of the racking tube with a piece of cheesecloth and it seems to do the trick.

I've never tried to roast hops ... I guess it'd work with bittering hops but I'd be concerned about losing aroma otherwise and you'd have to be careful when roasting fresh ones not to catch them on fire since they are so dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here