SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

Bottling Wine & First Batch Sampling

ladylotus
15 years ago

This might be a very silly question. I have hundreds of dark colored bottles for red wine. However, one of the reasons I'm making my wine is to use up the fruit that I'm growing on my property (rhubarb, crabapples, apples, currant, chokecherries) to name a few. The only one that produces dark wine is the chokecherry and raspberries, when the birds don't get them.

Is it taboo to use colored bottles for lighter colored wines? For some reason it just doesn't feel right to me. But, I don't want to spend a lot of money purchasing clear bottles when I have an over abundance of colored bottles. What are your thoughts? I guess I can hurry and open the wine and place it in one of my fancy decanters and no one would be the wiser. Most of the wine is for events that we go to and the after event gatherings. So they are people we know.

I opened and tried my very first batch of wine. It was a blackberry wine from frozen blackberries purchased at the store. I LOVED it. My husband was very skeptical and even he enjoyed it and before we knew it the bottle was gone. I only made 1 gallon of it. 4 bottles. We gave 2 bottles away and only have one bottle left. Bummer.

I also bottled a peach/raspberry wine (6 gallons). I tasted a little of it while bottling. I'm a little worried it tasted a bit fizzy like champagne and a little harsh. I can't even explain it. Perhaps a little like vinegar but not that strong. Do you think it will be ok after it sits awhile in the bottles? We are talking 26 bottles, I could have probably gotten more bottles, but panicked thinking it was no good and dumped some of the wine in the carboy as I ran out of corks.

Can you use corks in the screw cap bottles? I have been given some of these and wondered if perhaps they would work ok if the cork fits snug in the bottle?

Last question, where do you buy your lables? I would like to create my own labels. Is there a place you can purchase them for a reasonable price?

Sorry for all the questions. These are my first batches of wine and I'm hoping for the best.

I now have 6 gallons of rhubarb, 1 gallon of chokecherry and 1 gallon of rhubarb/strawberry in carboys. I plan to make apple raspberry in my other 6 gallon carboy this weekend. FUN!!!!

Thank you for any advise.

~Tj~

Comments (8)

Sponsored