Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wine additives

Posted by organic_lambo (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 6:20

I'm trying to start to make wine but I have a problem. The recipes always state " campden tablets" "yeast nutrients" and "acid blend" My problem is that I live in France and cannot find those ingredients under those names. What are their chemical names? Can I use anything else which is organic? Will it work without them, Your help will be much apreciated
Regards Colin
P.s. for anyone interested we have a web site at auvieuxmoulin.org

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wine additives

Colin,

Here goes:

Campden tablets = sodium or potassium metabisulfite and are used for killing off wild yeasts in raw grape juice (must). Alternately, you could heat the must to pasteurization temperatures or start with concentrates / pasteurized juice. You can also use yeasts with a very high competitive factor (like the Lalvin EC-1118 or K1-V1116) and hope that they'll overrun any wild yeasts but you're taking your chances there.

Yeast Nutrients = anything from specially prepared dead yeast to combinations of diammonium phosphate, dipotassium phosphate and magnesium sulfate. This is used to make sure the yeast has enough to eat, especially nitrogen. If you're doing grape or fruit based wines, it's not needed though it might speed the fermentation a little. If you're doing things like mead, you can substitute a handful of raisins.

Acid blend = a blend of citric, malic and tartaric acids that usually comes in crystalline form. It's used to balance the acid in a wine as determined by pH (usually tested by little strips of paper that turn color or a rather exepnsive electronic tester). The acidity affects the taste so that low acid levels taste flat / flabby and high acid tastes sharp. If your pH is too high, you can add the juice of a lemon to the fermentation (or later when you first taste the wine) and be just fine. If you've got a good balance of grapes, the fermentation should be fine without it.

Good luck on your wine and don't worry too much about the additives ... people have been making good wines without chemical additives for a long time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here