Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape Vine Removal and Replanting

Posted by jimla (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 28, 08 at 0:00

I have 10 Chambourcin vines about 8 years old that I want to remove and replant with another variety. What is the best way to remove them? They are woody, about 1-1.5 inches in diameter. They are vigorous but do not have the time to follow the proper spray regimen. As a result in all but 2 years black rot has claimed the crop before harvest. I would like to replant with U of MN winter hardy table and seedlees grapes. Should I just cut them a few inches above the ground then use a stump killer? If so, is it too late now that they are dropping leaves and going dormant? If chemical is the way to go and it should be a spring application painted on the stump, can I replant next to it? I am sure root system removal is not possible and even with chemical treatment they may continue to sprout for a while. Is there another way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape Vine Removal and Replanting

I've never actually removed a grape vine, roots and all. I'd think that cutting followed by stump killer in spring when the vine is starting growth or cutting higher up and trying to pull out with some chain and a pickup truck could work. You might want to cross post this to the Fruits and Orchards forum since they have many more growers over there and maybe they have a better way.

o

I may be a bit late but what about grafting another varietal on the existing trunks?

o

we moved some of ours with a trenching bucket on the skid loader, and relocated them last year to another place in the yard. They didn't come up at all in the old place again.
But they did actually produce a very small amount of grapes in the new location last summer. They were about 7 years old and very woody. So I'd suggest dig or pull them up with a tractor or truck.

o

That movie "A walk in the Clouds," is about a vineyard that catches fire. The family is devastated because they brought the old stock from Italy, and it got destroyed. One scene, our hero pulls and pushes and gets the burnt stump out of the ground. The old grandpa takes a knife, and peels away the bark, and the inside is green! They all rejoice!!

I think if you could graft another varietal (like Interior D suggested) onto the root stock it may be easier and get you what you want.

Good luck!

o

Thanks for the grafting suggestion. I have a seeded concord that does well so I could do my pruning and save some for the grafts. I would also like to try other varieties particularly those like Marquette or Jupiter which are more reistance to cold and disease. Any suggestions where I could get cuttings to graft? I can buy 2 year rooted plants but do the nurserys like AA sell just cuttings? Could I buy a rooted plant and use just the top in the graft?
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here