Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
solo drinker

Posted by tommysmommy (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 22:31

Can't seem to get my hubby to drink a glass with me very often, which leaves me to open a whole bottle for me to pour one glass (okay, maybe two) out and then cork it back up to spoil. I use the vac-u-vin system but it's just never the same after having been opened. Any suggestions out there? This is a very good reason to drink cheap wines, by the way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: solo drinker

simple simple solution...either share with someone else who is willing :)

or, polish off the bottle

o

Well, that does sound simple doesn't it? Yeah, I guess I'm going to have to start inviting the neighbors in, as I can't drink that much and stay awake to enjoy the conversation!

o

i tend to buy cheaper wines anyways...so Letting it sit on the counter corked a few days doesnt bother me one bit

o

You can use it for cooking. Freeze what's left in an ice cube tray, pop the cubes out and put them in ziplock bags to use when you need a bit of wine to deglaze a pan or toss into the stock pot.

I will drink white wine the next day after refrigerating it. Day three, no...

o

Well, while sharing a large bottle as I write with a friend. We both agree it's always drinkable no matter how long it hangs around if sealed properly. But left over wine????

Happy wine drinkers

o

Yeah, leftover wine. That's what happens when you're a lightweight! So what's your "sealed properly" method?

o

Unfortunately, leaving any decent wine out on the counter for a few days will simply kill it. From time to time you can find a massive and young wine that can stand up, but unless it is an oxidized wine already, leaving it open for a day or more is just wasting the wine. And if you paid $40, $50 or more for the bottle, it's a shame to do that. Even if you only paid $20 or so. If you are going to leave an old barolo or Rioja or Burgundy half full for a couple of days, you may as well just pour it out.

There is no really great way to keep wine, but one way that works a bit is to get a half bottle. Then when you are finished with that, keep the bottle. In the future, if you do not anticipate finishing a bottle in an evening, when you open the wine, immediately pour half of it into the half bottle and cork it. You can use one of those vacuum sealers, but they will not really accomplish much because by pouring the wine, you will have beaten air into it.

Nonetheless, those sealers fit almost every bottle, unlike your corks and they are easy to use. Then put that half bottle into the fridge or back in your wine cellar. It will keep for a day or maybe even a couple of days.

Remember that oxygen is the enemy of wine. The only way to keep your wine is to prevent oxygen from getting into the wine. So some stores and restaurants now have nitrogen tanks where the wine is pumped out of the bottle and nitrogen is pumped in. This prevents oxygen from getting in and allows them to sell wine by the glass w/out having to finish a bottle right away. Cheers.

o

Don't completely agree with rosesinny. For cheaper everyday wines I would say about 2 days max. As for better well made wines I feel thst they can stay for 3,4 or 5 days. Recently I had a 02 Paloma Merlot which took about 8 hours to open but still was a bit tight not showing as well as it did inthe past. The next day this came togheter and was much more enjoyable. Same has happened with some $10 to $15 bottles. Most of the time there is not enough left to experince this..lol. Granted I also had experinces with some older wines that tasted great after an hour of decanting but an hour after that it completly fell apart.
Storing in the Fridge also has helped at times

o

The cheaper wines do not hold up as well as a good 5-10 year old red. I, too, sometimes drink a glass of wine with dinner when DH is not home. It is really hard to find a half bottle these days so I use my vacuum cork, refrigerate it and it is still good after 4 - 5 days. Just let it come to room temp before you pour it!!!

o

Sometimes. Depends on definition of a "good" 5-10 year old red. If it is say, a barolo from 2001 or a Bordeaux from 2000 or even some Napa cabs, like Phil Togni's from 1996, they are going to be so young and tannic that they may benefit from being open. But 4-5 days is a really long time. Also remember - the fridge is better than that counter, but the countertop temp, if that is "room" temp, is way too warm. In the US, people keep their houses at over 70, sometimes even 80, and that is way too warm for any wine IMO. Lots of times I've asked sommeliers for ice buckets in restaurants because many of those so-called experts have no idea that they are serving their wines too warm.

o

Many nice wines are also bottled in half bottles or 375ml. Not available in most grocery stores but a store with a real wine department will have a good selection of half bottles.

o

OK, it may be sin to say so, but I buy box wine or casks as they now like to call them. Since the air can't get to the wine there is no problem with oxidation and I've had some pretty good wines. There is a Corbett Creek Chardonnay (and I don't like Chardonnay) that is very drinkable. I've also seen recommendation for Harvey. After you get over the cardboard box it really makes sense. Oh, but I haven't liked any of the Almaden boxes I have have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here