Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crab apple wine and pear wine?

Posted by yugoslava (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 13:43

I have read some of the posts and find them informative. I found for example the fruit should be chopped up. Few years back someone in my family juiced the crabs, didn't use any yeast, wanted natural yeast to start fermentation. It had lovely colour and not much else. I thought I could turn it into vinegar and put mother in it. It didn't work. So now I would like to do it myself and go about it in proper fashion. What about the apples on the ground, are they only good for compost. The crab apples I have are quite tart would addition of honey or sugar help in fermentation. There is also quite a lot of pears available which I can use for wine. On the subject of vinegar does the juice have to ferment before it turns into vinegar or could juice alone be used for that purpose? I know this is not where you want to discuss wine turning into vinegar.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crab apple wine and pear wine?

I have this link bookmarked with the hopes I can find some crab apples this year to make some wine myself.

Hopefully this will help you..

Lots of luck..

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.angelfire.com/wy/DaBoozer/wine.html

o
RE: Crab apple wine and pear wine?

I am going to make crabapple wine this year too! One thing I have learned about working with crabapples: Strain without squeezing, clear juice only, no pulp! Crabapple pulp is very bitter!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here