Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY Plans for cellar racks?

Posted by zevi_b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 16:33

Hello,

I want to close-off an unfinished area in the basement for wine cellar. I looked at some of the links posted here, but those that I saw, pretty much all sell finished racks.

Does anyone have, or can you point me to where I can get a basic do-it-yourself plan for wine rack? I can modify size and dimensions to fit, but I'm looking for some simple design that will not take too long to cut the pieces and nail together.

Thanks in adavnce!
Zevi.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY Plans for cellar racks?

I have been searching for something of this nature for a long time. No one seems to have plans to build this other than the stackable racks with a half circle cut out.

I have searched woodworking books and websites, requested plans from everyone with no luck.

If you can find some I would love to see them as well. I will share if I ever find them. I am to the point I may just have to wing it. Maybe go to the local wine shop and take measurements.

Grancru

o

If you're handy enough to make them, you don't need plans. Bottles are around 3 inches diameter. The Rhone shapes can be 3 1/2 inches and some of those big huge bottles, like those used by Pax or Au Bon Climat or by some sparkling wine folks, are maybe closer to 4 inches.

Bottles are approximately 13 inches long, again with exceptions for some of the German or Italian bottles that are long and skinny.

If you don't have a table saw or want to rip something, just use 1x2 for the uprights. You can use 1x1 for the cross pieces or, if you feel like it, shoe molding, which is quite inexpensive. Use 1" brads or finishing nails to tack them together, maybe put a drop of Titebond on there first. When I'm doing something like that, I line up all of the pieces w the end aligned and then run a line across them so that the rails, or cross bars, are aligned but that is not really necessary because the bottles are round, so perfection isn't a requirement. Anyway, it's not really that hard and you can make these things pretty quickly.

Easier, but not as useful, are those diamond shapes that people make. The problem with those is that if you put a lot of wine in there, you have to play around to take a bottle out. One bottle per space is perfect. Good luck!

o

Have you checked this site?

If you have fairly standard measurements, there are some really good options on this site. The prices are good, and it looks a lot easier than building all those racks as a DIY project.

Anyway, call me lazy but I'd rather be looking at the rack with a glass of wine in my hand as I admire my quick assembly than to painstakingly build each one piece by piece.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wine Racks America

o

I can't answer your question specifically, but my cousin improvised nicely in his basement. Built simple shelving, about 12" deep, and placed clay roof tiles upside down to hold each bottle of wine.

o

The best description of building a wine cellar (including shelving) is in a book named "How to Build a Wine Cellar". It's about $20 and you can find it on Amazon. I didn't DIY, but I'm just finishing up a house with a wine cellar (actually a wine room) and used this book to size the shelving. I'll post some pictures of the shelving I had built on another thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Build a Wine Cellar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here