Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lillet a aperitif wine

Posted by newdawn1895 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 13:44

Has anyone ever tryed the wine "Lillet" an aperitif wine? I bought a bottle in New Orleans and it was delicious. It had a apple taste. Gosh it has a real kick to it, you can't drink much.

.....Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lillet a aperitif wine

Sure. It's a fortified wine so it's not actually pure wine - it's got flavorings and additional alcohol added, that's why it has that kick. I think they use Armagnac, which is a brandy like Cognac. In addition, they add some herbs and some orange rind and they used to use quinine but don't any more. In the 1960s they came out with a red version for the US market - similar story.

It was hot stuff in the 50s and 60s, partly because James Bond drank it but partly because the US didn't really drink wine but after Jackie O, everyone wanted to have something French in the house and the flavor of this was acceptable to the US palate. It's kind of getting a revival these days, sort of a retro thing. But it's actually pretty nice to have really chilled or even with ice on a hot day, because you wouldn't put ice in wine.

If you like that, the Italians make Marsala and Vermouth - also wines with additional ingredients. And you can do great things with it in the kitchen - try some Lillet when you deglaze your pan next time you saute some chicken breasts.

o

A local restaurant/bar in my area has a signature martini using Lillet. They've had it on their drink menu at least since the 70's. They garnish the drink with an orange peel.

o

Thank you Rose and Dilly, how interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here