Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape vine growing wildly...keep pruning?

Posted by northernorchidlady (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 12:06

I have a Marechal Foch vine (planted 4 yrs ago) that is just growing like crazy...I mean so bad that last year I let it grow over the trellis and reached well over 15 ft. This year again, it has set nice fruit and they are enlarging nicely but the vines just keep growing and just won't seem to stop. I even noticed new growth setting flower a second time! I already pruned to tidy up twice since the begining of June.
It is planted on the south facing side of a fence and it is not trained in any particular method, except that I pruned it hard last winter, like most and it has only one growing trunk. I live in northern Ontario, zone 4b and there is much winter kill on anything that was not covered in snow.
Do I keep pruning or just let it go wild? Perpahs I left too many growing buds last spring? I was told that letting grow too much will suck the sap out of the plant and drain it but I keep cutting and it just stimulates more buds to grow.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape vine growing wildly...keep pruning?

I have an opinion about what you should do, but perhaps you would get a better opinion by contacting a vineyard in your area. try this link

Here is a link that might be useful: wines of ontario

o
RE: Grape vine growing wildly...keep pruning?

You might be over fertilizing it... grape vines like it on the lean side, in order to put more energy into fruit production instead of growth. I'd wait till the regular pruning time... and not fertilize any more. I have heavy clay so when I planted my grapes, I heavily composted them... and am paying for it in huge growth... but I am hoping it lasts for awhile, in the end, better soil.

o
cantaloupe

Is it too late to plant cantaloupe. i LIVE IN 9A ZONE.
THANKS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here