SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimla

Vines and Spraying

jimla
17 years ago

Are there any grapes (table or wine) that are less/no maintenance when it comes to spraying? Six years ago (before kids) I planted 12 Chambourcin vines (on a 3 wire trellis with annual pruning) with the intention of making wine. They have done well and set fruit but shrivel or blacken before harvest. Some of teh leaves get a rust spot or margins. I know wine grapes require "attention" to get them to harvest, but I have not sprayed them with anything, ever. Last year however I did get grapes and made juice which the family enjoyed. It raised expectations for this year but alas, all the fruit is dying again. I am considering pulling the Chambourcin and plant a table grape to use for juice and jam which the family will enjoy more. I remember as a kid that the neighbor's backyard concord arbor was always full without spraying. I realize the wine grapes require spraying but my family prefer I don't spray. Over the years, 3 vines have died and I replaced them with two Himrod seedless and a concord seedless. They have the same fate as the Chambourcin except this year the COncord looks like it will make it when all teh others will not. Any sugestions for improving the Chambourcin harvest or planting some other variety?

Comments (3)

Sponsored