SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

New to wine making...

ladylotus
15 years ago

Greetings,

I'm new to wine making and have a few very beginner questions.

1st I have a peach raspberry wine that I've had going since March. I've racked on 4/10, 4/20 and added another pound of sugar, racked again on 4/27, 5/11 and 6/13. It's in a 6 gallon carboy. Last evening I added islinglass to try to clear the wine.

How long does it take to clear?

Can I begin tasting the wine now to determine if additional sugar is needed? Will it taste good at this time or get better once it's bottled?

How do you know when it's time to bottle your wine. There is no CO2 activity in the wine right now. I'm thinking as soon as it's clear I should be ok to bottle it. Should I add anything prior to bottling?

Blackberry Wine...I also have a 1 gallon glass carboy of blackberry wine going. I believe this too is ready for bottling. I am assuming since it's so dark in color the clarity is not an issue for dark red wines eh?

Last question...Rhubarb Wine. I started fermenting some rhubarb according to the recipe it says to ferment the fruit for 3 days. By the third day it had tiny specs of mold on the fruit. I did place the juice from this fruit in the carboy and added the yeast. But I'm worried about the sight of the mold. Should I throw out the batch and start over? I did not add any of the mold just the liquid produced by the fruit and sugar. I was very careful to ensure no mold went into the carboy.

Sorry for all the questions. I don't know anyone else that makes wine and would really like to produce some good drinking wine.

Thanks.

Tj

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH