Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any additive/chemical-free wines?

Posted by usafarmer (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 14:13

I did an internet search to see if any country forbade the use of chemicals in its wine, couldn't find any. Instead, I found Australia allows the use of 50 chemicals in wine, and that Germany's since-1567 purity law that forbids any but 4 ingredients to make beer does not cover wine, and that German wine is without protection from the use of chemicals to make it. Since my allergies are incited by so many wines, that may be because of chemicals or because some strains of yeast cause allergies more than others, I need to find an inexpensive wine I can drink without an allergic problem. The only US wine I've tried that is never a problem is Korbel California Champage "Natural"/Extremely Dry [not to be confused with either Korbel's Brut or Very Dry which are quite allergic], but I don't always want a whole, expensive bottle of champagne. Is there any wine which those of you with allergies have found safe to drink? Or is there any origin country of wine supposed to be free of chemical additives? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any additive/chemical-free wines?

You might want to see a doctor and have an allergy test and see what you are allergic too.

One possibility would be an organic winery. Organic wine uses only natural ingredients so that would fit your criteria of no chemicals.

I've not tried them, but Four Chimneys here on Seneca Lake is supposed to be good. They do mail order, and are the first organic winery in North America.

You may wish to check out the following sites and see if they list any near you.

http://www.google.com/Top/Shopping/Food/Beverages/Wine/Organic/

Or do a google search like "organic winery, 12345"

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Chimneys Winery

o

This is a direct quote from the Sunstone Winery web site:

"Sunstone Vineyards and Winery is located 30 minutes north of Santa Barbara and is one of the most beautiful wineries and tasting rooms in the Santa Ynez Valley. Sunstone's tasting room is reminiscent of some of the small wineries in the Provencal French countryside, featuring a kitchen complete with a wood-burning oven and two stone barrel-aging caves built into the hillside. The Rice Family farms their 77-acre vineyards in an organic, bio-sustainable manner, meeting all California Certified Organic Farmer standards."

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunstone Winery

o

I seem to do well with New Zealand wines and Australian...
Don't know what it is with me that causes the closed ears and the pounding hear....but have not found it to be present in any Aussie or New Z wines I have tried....
Linda C

o

Perhaps you might think of making your own wine...then you can control the additives/chemicals, especially the sulfites. My husband makes wines for this reason. L.

o

There are MANY wine cultures that wine makers use. If you find a wine you can successfully drink, you should stay with it.

o

Only 5% of the wines in the U.S are boutique...naturally made, hand picked, hand sorted, without additives. Besides loving the way small batch wines taste, you really appreciate the quality the next day, when you dont have a headache :):) The other 95% are mass produced or formula wines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here