Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help/opinions

Posted by scot (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 12:39

I raise a fairly large variety of fruits and have been making wine and vinegar (actually more often melomels since i have bees too). My job requires tons of travel and I cant babysit my wines like I should. My question may seem kind of stupid, but I dont want to waste any more fruit and honey if what I have started doing is going to produce a poor wine.
Since I cant be home to punch/stir the fruit pulp, I have taken to just using juice from the fruit as opposed to including the pulp. I have upped the amount of fruit to help keep its character through the process. I also use tea or tannins to help make up for missing skins.

So my general question is, if I use only the juice (either pressed or extracted) in place of using the whole fruit will I still get a decent glass of wine in the end. I know this is fairly broad stroke, just need to know if I am wasting ingredients and time.

for the vinegar I usually just make up my must, and use honey until I get the SG I want, then take a gallon or two off for the vinegar and then add more honey to get the SG up to a good starting point for wine.

thx
scot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help/opinions

Looks like your'e like me,....hate to babysit wines and ad chemicals.
Not sure what your fruit's are, I do mostly apples and cherries,.. get juice out first.

Perhaps you need to invest in a high pressure Keg.
I have two 50L. ..just ordering another two. I put the juice, [no water] in there and let it ferment naturally,...it's kind of old school, the only difference here, the juice stops fermentation at around 140 PSI. The Keg has a tap on the bottom, about in two to 4 month you can let it out from there, no bottling needed, juice still sweet with some alcohol, something like a cooler.

o
RE: need help/opinions

I make wine from canned fruit juice so I don't see why you couldn't make it from juice you make yourself. I put 1 can of juice concentrate in a glass gallon jug, 1/2 the required water the can says, 1 cup of sugar and 1 pack of dry yeast. Cap jug with a balloon that you have jabbed a few times with a pin for holes to release gas. In two weeks the balloon should fall down and wine is done. My first batch was too high proof, so I reduced sugar to 3/4 cup. Depends on how strong you like the alcohol content. Make sure you put it in a moderate temp place, not too hot and where it won't get a chill. Works for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here