SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jolie320

Looking for a new 'branch' of wines, less sweet than I've been dr

Jolie320
13 years ago

Hello, I'm new to wines, and I've been reading on your forums, specifically on the "sweet red wine" post..

I am a relatively new wine drinker (a few years), and I'm having trouble finding what I am looking for.

My first "loves" wine wise were Stella Rosa, and the Banfi Rosa Regale, and other dessert wines, however, they have become to sweet for me, I moved on to Moscatos' and tried a large variety, and after a while they all seem to sweet for me as well. I am really looking for something that is not to sweet, but not to dry, I do not like the "oaky" taste. I do love the fizz, as evidence by my old favorites. Obviously there are lots of varieties, but so far, I have not enjoyed the White Zinfandels or Rieslings that I've tried (usually sips from friends at restaurant, I think the dry/oakyness just throws me off, and as far as Chardonnay or Merlot, I don't care for the oaky/tannin (I'm guessing that's what I don't enjoy). I know this is a lot of "I don't likes", I also know this is a process. I'd love to find something that is a little sweet, probably fruity, but also dry? I don't exactly know what it is I'm looking for, I've read good things about late harvest Chilean, Georgian wines tend to be a little sweeter.

I just wanted to break away from the Rosa Regale, Stella Rosa, and Moscatos and go up the list to something a little less sweet. Obviously my palate is changing, who knows in a few more years I might just want something dry and oaky. :)

I was wanting some recommendations that I could pick up at a wine/liquor store, or somewhere like Whole Foods/Central Market. I live in Texas, so ordering online is usually not an option.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals