Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What wine fridge?

Posted by sherriz (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 19:21

We're planning on adding a 24" wine fridge to our remodeled kitchen. We are not huge wine drinkers but want to store wine for when we entertain guests. We don't need top of the line and am curious what is out there between $300-$600. Can someone help with brands and what to look for in quality?

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What wine fridge?

Sherriz - do you mean under the counter? There are a number of them. But really, the rule is, buy a lot more than you think you need. They fill quickly if you buy anything for aging. If it's just short term, then I suppose an under the counter is OK. But if you're going to buy something for aging, let's say you buy a case this year and another next year and then another - that's already 36 bottles. And they NEVER hold as much as they say they do - the numbers they give are for standard Bordeaux bottles. If you have Rhone shaped bottles or riesling, forget it - you'll be able to store far fewer.

I bought a wine fridge, then another, and then built a cellar in the basement, and should have built it bigger because it's overflowing.

But if you're looking for short term storage, you can actually save a lot of money. Most of the money will go to looks, not functionality. Smoked glass doors, pull-out trays, etc., cost money. While pull out trays seem nice, the fact is that they're quite heavy, so you're not likely to be pulling them out much.

I wouldn't go for dual temps - I never understood that entire principle. Look at the gasket around the door - if it's cheap or the door seems flimsy, you'll get moisture build up and your cooler will run a lot. And putting the unit next to the stove or dishwasher isn't a great idea either. Those are insulated, but you exhaust heat from the back, just like your wine cooler does.

As far as brand names, I've not looked at those much but I can say that Haier, which seems to make Magic Chef, is perhaps not your best bet. The compressors seem to burn out quickly and replacing those is essentially the cost of a new unit. I bought a small Haier unit when we were renovating the house and it lasted just over a year. When I looked it up by model, I got to the Magic Chef site. And found many complaints. They're made in China and maybe aren't made of the best materials.

Better are Vinoteque - I've got one going on 10 years. Also Vinotemp, Eurocave and a few others.

Cheers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here