o
Wine descriptions from France

Posted by frenchy_fl (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 11, 06 at 22:45

Sec = very dry
Demi-Sec = dry
Du = somewhat sweet
Sucre = sweet

My preference is Du, with dessert, Demi Sec with a meal, and Sucre for an after dinner relaxing drink.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wine descriptions from France

Thanks for the information.

o

I've heard the term "cremante" (sp?) - where does this fit in on the sweetness scale?

Cheers,
Neal D.

o

The term "cremente" is an Italian word. You have spelled it correctly. It has nothing to do with the sweetness of wine. It refers to burning something to ashes.

The French have only 4 categories for wine sweetness as described above.

Hope this helps.

I make my own wine and "Champagne" so I can taylor the flavor and sweetness to my palette.

o

Cremente is a bubbly wine and is usually enjoyed at dessert.

Karen

o
oopps

Sorry, spelled that wrong. It's crémant *blush*.
I also wanted to add that it is also served as an apéritif or a cocktail. :o)

Karen

o

Ah, spelling. What a difference it makes. French and Italian languages have many similarities. Crémant blush being a light pink sparkling wine is just that. It cannot be called "Champagne", because only sparkling wine made from grapes from the province of Champagne can be called "Champagne".

So, it is sparkling wine, but it does not change the above mentioned 4 classes of sweetness.

o

Speaking of spelling, it isn't 'du' but 'doux'.

o
What's more...

What's more, Champagne is not a 'province' but rather part of a 'région'--Champagne-Ardenne. In France there is a distinction between these words.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here