Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carbonated wine?

Posted by NuGardnrInNc (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 21:03

I made my first batch of wine last fall with the help of a friend whose family has done it for many years. Well it turned out great. Even my friend thought it was something quite special, all in the grapes I guess. Anyway the wine is quite bubbly, the corks even make a slight pop when you pull them out. My friend wasn't sure why this happened. He said his aren't this way and we used all his ingredients. Anyone know why this would happen? I'm pretty sure the fermentation had stopped before bottling as it was in a carboy for 4 months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carbonated wine?

maloactive fermentation more than likely it will sometimes happen after bottling if there is no sediment in your bottles then thats what it is ...if there is sediment then it started fermenting again.

Here is a link that might be useful: my web site

o

Your lucky. Exploding bottles, blown out corks and a fountain of wine is not alot of fun to clean up.

o

Thanks guys. I've heard a few horror stories of exploding wine. There is a small amount of sediments in the bottles. I thought it was just tannins settling out. I thought for sure it was carbonation, because it almost has a champagne taste, the bubbliness anyway. But I'm no expert, I've never even drank wine until now. Never really cared for the taste. This batch turned out great. Hopefully the batch I'm making on my own now turns out as good. I think I will add some campden before bottling this time so I don't have to worry about explosions.

o

You have still got some fermentation in the bottles after corking. Not enough to pop the corks, but enough to make the CO2 in the bottle. We do this on purpose when we make beer but it has to be measured very carefully.

Next time, use a hydrometer before you bottle or add sulphite (campden) to the wine to kill the yeast so it doesn't keep working after you bottle or use a filter fine enough for yeast. You were lucky this time. Four months is not long enough to guarantee no fermentation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here