Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am pretty sure I killed my new grape vines.

Posted by bricore (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 17:52

I bought 4 grape vines about 2 wks. ago (Thompson and Flame). They did have a small amount of new growth coming out of them. I planted them in a big pot (wasn't ready to plant them in the ground yet) and watered them. The very next day you could see (on 2 of them) that the new grow wasn't happy (turning yellowish/brown.) The new grow just withered away. The other two I bought are doing the same thing but slower.

Can I save them? What should I do?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am pretty sure I killed my new grape vines.

Try asking this question on the gardening side.. This forum isn't very active.. : (

o
RE: I am pretty sure I killed my new grape vines.

Not sure what your climate is - however, I'll share my own experiences with Thompson and Chardonnay types.

The Thompson was planted on an arbor - this is it's 3rd spring. Actually, It didn't look like it was going to survive either. Some one said they get "Pierce" disease, and I assumed that was the problem. The main vines got all spotty - and the leaves looked awful. I learned grapes need severe pruning - (90 %) - so whacked it pretty hard and said a prayer.

This spring - I tossed some aged chicken manure at it - even tho it looked almost dead. Well - the sun came out - the weather got warmer and now the entire arbor is full of vines.

So maybe it's just a quirk - but for now I'm hopeful.

The Chardonnays are in another spot - an arbor next to the house that reflects southern sunshine - and is looking very well. My only concern is - that my location - 6 blks from the ocean - with summer fog - may not be to their liking. But who knows - perhaps this year they will be stronger.

I suspect they like a lot of heat.

bejay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here