Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got a question about the CO2 in wine making

Posted by johnnycadoseed (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 12:23

When you make a 5 gallon batch of homemade wine, during the fermentation stage, is all the CO2 emiting from the carboy dangerous? Most people make their wine or hard cider in the cellar or a storage area with minimum sunlight and generally has no air conditioning and has very limited air circulation. This means there is probably a pocket of CO2 in that area. Is the CO2 emited large enough in volume to pose a danger in that uncirculated area?
John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got a question about the CO2 in wine making

I have never found it to be so. You could always provide some circulation with a small fan, if you were worried about it. I don't bother.

o

We had many large barrels of apple juice in the cellar fermenting and never had a problem.

o

No problem at all. Make sure you stir you wine well before bottling to release the co2 or your wine will be fizzy when opening your bottles.

o

I have had no problems either. My wines make in the kitchen where it's warmer. I don't put them in the cellar until I bottle them. I have never had a problem with the CO2.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here