Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you help me pick a wine?

Posted by jcrowley99 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 16:48

Hi! I usually hang out on the cooking forum, but one of the members suggesting posting here on the wine forum. I had not even realized there was a wine forum! Can anyone here help me decide which of these wines would make the best gift?

I am going to a surprise 40th birthday party for a friend of mine. She loves wine and I thought I would give her a bottle from my cellar. I don't really know anything about wines, just what I like. I tried researching on the internet, but since the ones I have appear to be out of stock, I had trouble finding info on them. I was wondering if anyone here might be familiar with any of the wines I was thinking of. Here are my choices:
1. Ridge Lytton Estate 2002 California Grenache/ Syrah

2. Chteau Souverain 2003 Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

3. Merryvale Starmont 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley

I have not tried any of them; I only acquired one bottle of each, so I'm not sure which would be best for such a special occasion. Can anyone make a recommendation?
Joanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you help me pick a wine?

WIth any gift I like to give something that the person wouldn't splurge on themselves. If it's wine she likes, what about a bottle of champagne? I havent met a woman yet who isn't in love with the stuff. I can offer some suggestions if you'd like.

o
RE: Can you help me pick a wine?

"1. Ridge Lytton Estate 2002 California Grenache/ Syrah

2. Chteau Souverain 2003 Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

3. Merryvale Starmont 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley "

Ridge is one of the great wineries in CA. Respected all around the world. That wine is, or was, only available to people who bought directly from the winery since not much was available. I never loved it as much as I wanted to, but it was nonetheless a decent wine and if your friend really loves wine, she'd be happy to get a bottle, esp as it shows a thoughtfulness, i.e. you can't just walk into any store and buy it.

Souverain - not a bad wine for what it is. 2003 wasn't a great year in the area and it's a fairly widely available wine. Not special enough.

Merryvale Starmont - a better year overall than the 2003, but still not special enough as a winery. A little too pedestrian for a gift.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here