Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to sell a bottle of Dom Perignon 1985

Posted by peris14 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 14:13

My friend wishes to sell a bottle of Dom Perignon 1985 for charity. As anyone any ideas on how to achieve this objective?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to sell a bottle of Dom Perignon 1985

First of all you should research to see if it is worth anything. Visit the GW thread below where a 1985 dom is discussed.

Then check out places like
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=14409

I do not quite understand the term "sell it for charity". You mean something like put it in eBay and sell it, giving the money to some charity?

Are you talking about a 1985 Dom Perignon Etched Bottle Champagne worth thousands of dollars, or just a 1985 Dom Perignon like that you can get at any restaurant for a few hundred bucks? Do you know what you have? Has it been stored properly? Do you know it's full history?

Would it not be better to have an auction with bidders? Or build an event around it. Sell tickets to the auction with dinner and dancing. Have give-a-ways or drawings of other nice wines to entice people to buy the tickets. Have other wines auctioned off. Advertise the event. If you already have a charity in mind to give the money to, they will have a marketing team in place to organize such an event. If you are planning on doing this on your own, you need to have permission to use the charity's name in association with the sale.

If that sounds like too much work, find and ongoing event and offer to donate it for bidding.

The bottle better be good or you may end up in small claims court.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Dom Thread

o
RE: How to sell a bottle of Dom Perignon 1985

I echo dilly-dally's comments. Yes, 1985 was a great year for champagne and that vintage is drinking at its peak right now. When it comes to selling it though, providence is very, very important. This may be "Dom" but its far from a super collectable. If you've never had aged champagne before, get some good glasses and drink it! If it was stored properly it will be a wonderful experience.
I had an '85 Veuve Cliquot "La Grande Dame" last year. It was fantastic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here