Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not Funny at the time!!!!

Posted by blm712 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 4, 06 at 20:22

We live very close to North East Pa. This year we decided to buy the Concord Grape juice in the big 5 gallon glass Carboy to save a lot of work, we loaded the empty carboys into the back of my van and went on our journey to the vinyard.The carboys made it over just fine.We got loaded and started back home, of course a different way, the first big curve in the road the two carboys tipped over(i never moved so fast in my life ) got them up righted ,lost about a gallon out of each one. We had quite a clean up when we got home. For weeks and weeks we had fruit flys and wine odors. My van will never be the same . Instead of the new car smell it has the old wine smell.Next year we are picking the grapes.Anyone have any stories to tell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not Funny at the time!!!!

Yea...Don't ever bump two carboys togeather when moving them around..5 gals is hard to clean up.. even on a tile floor..Had to buy my wife a set of new towels, and it was hard as hell to match the white grout to a golden scuppernong color!!

o
RE: Not Funny at the time!!!!

Not as dramatic, but a few days ago I started a batch of OzarkMountainMan's ginger beer using a Wyeast liquid yeast in a foil packet, first time I 've used one of these. After activating the yeast and watching the packet blow up like a ballon, common sense should've told me to immerse it in the must---but hey, the picute on the package showed it being pured into a carboy---so I just oened it, and, sure enough, only about half the yeast made it into the primary. The rest sprayed all over the kitchen, and me.
But at least we have linoleum, so the grout didn't satin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here