SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riverratspaz

Mulberry Wine...TREES

riverratspaz
18 years ago

Regular to the Daylily post, I saw this forum and thought i had something unique to offer. I grow mulberrys, they are the wild ones of course, but i've come to find they produce more than the newer varieties.

Anyhow, last year we collected almost 4, 5gallon bucket fulls of berries from one shaking (of the tree) small tree to only about 20x20. My uncle made somw wonderful full bodied wine from them. The wine is almost black, very clear no pulp. The best part is, it straddles the fence as far as sweet/dry?

Very wonderful, looking forward to this years crop, and the wine a little later.

The reason i started the post though was to offer cuttings from my stock, or to actually dig them up for you all? Anyone interested. Wouldnt need much in return you just pay the postage, or exchange plants.

Later i hope this wasnt to far off the forums subject matter?

G

Comments (4)

• francis_eric
    18 years ago

I looked where you are, and thats far from Illinois(zone 5 but it does get -20 every now and than) I might be interested though, but in the cuttings the plants would probally be expensive to ship if you can find out I will think about it. Do you have any other things that might be of use like seeds or grape cuttings I have never ate a eddle berry, and I would rather have a cutting from one of those plants.----- I also might be interested, because it is always good to blend the same types of fruit

look at this site jack keller.net under requested recipes, and www.homemade wine. I have more, but I would have to look up the names of the sites.---- Rox Anns Kitchen I think thats what it's called has a lot to

• riverratspaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, They take the cold pretty well i hear, i think mine would do better with more of a cold snap, I think you mean Elder berry? And if you want that you can get some of those too! Whatever you want, would you like some black berry stock?

Ill check on the shipping but all of those are great for making some really tasty wines!!

Gerard

• jgrow
    18 years ago

I live by the Amite river and a mulberry tree is not easily found in our area. There was one in the woods by the river but it died years ago. I enjoyed the flavor. The one I ordered from a catalog is now about 8' tall and I found out it is an ornamental variety with no fruit.
    Yes I would like to get a couple of the wild ones for the spring planting. Lemme know, thanks John

• connie0751
    18 years ago

Funny how one man's trash is another man's treasure.....we have the trees plenty where I live. In fact there are several in my neighbor's yards and I dig them up/cut them down in my yard....the birds eat the berries and leave a mess on my clean clothes on the line in the summer. I can remember as a kid, sitting up in a tree eating the fruit and watching the bag worms move around. What a memory! LOL!

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm