Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hop vines

Posted by garbird (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 17, 06 at 17:54

I know I'm a little off subject, but does anyone know where to buy hop plants used for home brewing? I imported some from Europe last year, but none of them grew. Thanks, garbird

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hop vines

I have bought them from http://www.freshops.com/
they have a good stock

o

You might want to check up on that Im not sure about hops, but I read that grape vines imported from the USA to Europe brought some kind of pest, and they need to be grafted on to a root stock of Eropean grape varieties.

Somthing I read happend with Eropean vines over here they said it could bring diseases to grape vines if not grafted first----- maybe vis sa ver sa

pfaf.org --------Im pretty sure

I seen somthing about substitutes they used to use, Im not saying you should I think this site is interesting though
Pick the UK data base or the US data base----=(for some reason it's a UK site, but more options are for the US data base )---- go to the bottom of the page, and search beer, tea, wine, chocolate, migranes, composting just about any thing you can think of involving problems or other things.

o

Speaking of substitutes, their is a little known shrub that grows along our pastures near the river called ( Ptelea Trifolata ) Hops Tree, they used to use it as the bittering agent for making beer when no hops were available.

I'm going to try making beer out of it next summer when the seeds have matured, my only delima is, should they be green or dried when used, I'm thinking green. Well anyway, I have seed of this small tree for anyone wishing to grow it for them selves for SASE.

o

I found it on their if you go to that site for some reason or the other you have to click US DATA BASE(thats where I found it)than you should go down to word of phrase I went to scientific names, and nothing showed than type in beer, and this is what I saw.

Ptelea Trifolata--- A decidious tree growing to 6m by 6m at a slow rate. It is hardy to zone 5 and is frost tender. It is in flower from June to July, and the seeds ripen from October to November.

Fruit. A very bitter flavour, though it is eaten by young children[161]. The fruit is also used as a hop substitute when making beer and it is added to yeast to make it rise more quickly when making bread[2, 159, 183]. The fruit is produced abundantly in Britain[61], though very little of it is fertile[11]. The fruit is very thin and about 25mm long[200].

Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a cold frame[200]. Stored seed requires 3 months cold stratification at 5c and should be sown as early as possible in the year[113]. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in light shade in the cold frame for at least their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts. Very little of the seed produced in Britain is viable[11].

The root-bark is anthelmintic, antibacterial, antiperiodic, stomachic and tonic[4, 21, 46, 82, 238]. It has been mixed with other medicines in order to give added potency[213, 222, 257]. It has a soothing influence on the mucous membranes and promotes the appetite, being tolerated when other tonics cannot be retained[4]. It is also taken in the treatment of intermittent fevers such as malaria, heartburn, roundworms, pinworms and poor digestion[238]. Externally it is applied to wounds[238]. The roots are harvested in the autumn, the bark peeled off and dried for later use

The roots are a tonic, used in the treatment of asthmatic breathing, fevers, poor appetite etc

THE SEEDS I LIKE TEA BITTER so maybe they would make a good tea, I just looked at your profile I don;t know if it would be native to Illinois being in Arkansas, but I will try to find out Ive been their, and it's nice out their, but also If you wouldn't mind I would like other seeds or cuttings you might think would make a good wine wild flowers sound nice also--- just a example this web site jackkeller.net won 3rd---(their is two higher places than 1st)----for burdock wine the seeds of them.

Speaking of edible things I want to start forging if you know about plants, and are willing to send me some seeds send me some ones your sure are safe Im about to ask a forager so I can make sure their edible.

o

Richters sells hops.

o

If you're anywhere near Pittsburgh, PA, come and dig some up. I have plenty and they grow very well. They came with the house when I bought it. The house is 100 years old, and the neighborhood was German, but I have no idea of the variety of the hops.

o

Northern Brewers , our local brew shop in MN, is selling hop rhizomes right now. They ship direct to you from a grower in Oregon. Their web site is very nice.

Karl

o

Thank you all for your help. I purchased rhizomes from Northern Brewers and they are all up and growing. They sold me very nice quality products. Thanks again to everyone, Garbird

o
RE: Hop vines purchased

Thank you all for your help. I purchased rhizomes from Northern Brewers and they are all up and growing. They sold me very nice quality products. Thanks again to everyone, Garbird

o

Does anyone know of where I may purchase these in the state of FL?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here