Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fermination finished early

Posted by russkunkel (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 15:32

I am new to winemaking .. have my first two batches going. One of the batches had a SG of 998 or 999 after 7 days. I racked it then to a secondary fermination container (I think I should have done it sooner). It bubbled for a day and stopped. Is it finished now or do I let it sit to clear or ??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fermination finished early

russkunkel,
Without knowing the starting specific gravities, I can't tell much. I'd bet the ferment didn't finish early, just finished. Do let us know that starting s.g. though. What kind of wine are you making and the recipe? How many gal. carboy? If it turns out to dry you can always sweeten it up later.

o

Thanks for the reply. I didn't get a beginning SG .. that is one lesson I have learned. The recipes I used were on the concentrate cans that I purchased from E.C.Kraus. I think I have figured out that the grape based wine is finished and I just have to let it clear by racking it every two weeks for a month or so. Does that sound correct?

o

Sounds like your right on!!Below is a link to an article on racking....You can rack to much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Racking

o

Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here