Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time from kit: cloudy = vinegar?

Posted by paulns (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 11:36

We're making Sauvignon Blanc from a kit. After we started it the outdoor temperature plummeted, the room got down to 60F or so and the yeast wouldn't work. So after a few days we moved the bucket near the wood stove (our only heat source). The yeast started working. The ambient temp went up to 75-80F. The wine went very cloudy. Not wanting to keep disturbing the bucket we waited a couple days then moved it to a cooler place, 60-70F. The wine is on day 12 of the 14 recommended in the primary, and it is super cloudy. Does this mean it's turning to vinegar?

Two other possible mistakes: I used a wooden spoon to stir the ingredients, not plastic as suggested, because we don't have one. Along with all the other equipment I had washed the wooden spoon in bleach water and rinsed it.

And we're using a borrowed glass carboy which only holds 19 litres, and the kit makes 23 litres. So we only put 19 litres water in the bucket, which leave a lot of headroom.

This kit is supposed to be foolproof. Does that make me a fool? :) I suppose time will tell, but if there's something I can do now to correct the wine, or not do in the future to prevent problems, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time from kit: cloudy = vinegar?

Are you following the instructions that came with the kit? Did you use a hydrometer to read the wine as directed? What brand is the kit?

o

Aside from the above mentioned things we followed the instructions to the letter. It's a Heritage wine kit from British Columbia - cheap ($46) but not super cheap.

o
link

They're online

Here is a link that might be useful: heritage wine

o

Paulns, I read the kit instruction from the site you gave me and Other than not doing the extra gal of water I think you have probably still have a good wine. The cloudness it probably due to that. I also have the contact person you should email and talk to. Take a hydrometer reading before talk to her ,as I am sure she will ask you for it.They will let you know if not putting enough water in it will cause the problems.
contact... bernadetter@brewerylane.com

o

Thanks for finding that address fedup - I was looking but missed it - and for the optimism. I did talk to the guy at the shop we got the kit at - he's in town, 2+ hours away - and he didn't think there would be a problem using less water - said it would make a more full-bodied, though maybe not stronger, wine.

I'm more worried now about all that air space in the bucket, but the chemicals that come with the kit help prevent it turning to vinegar, right? What I'll do is wait until the 14 days are over (Jan. 29), take a reading and email that lady. The wine is looking clearer at the top now than it was two days ago.

o

Update - the wine's in the carboy now, topped up, looking amazingly clear and smelling like wine.
First-timer panic. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here