SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

First time from kit: cloudy = vinegar?

paulns
15 years ago

We're making Sauvignon Blanc from a kit. After we started it the outdoor temperature plummeted, the room got down to 60F or so and the yeast wouldn't work. So after a few days we moved the bucket near the wood stove (our only heat source). The yeast started working. The ambient temp went up to 75-80F. The wine went very cloudy. Not wanting to keep disturbing the bucket we waited a couple days then moved it to a cooler place, 60-70F. The wine is on day 12 of the 14 recommended in the primary, and it is super cloudy. Does this mean it's turning to vinegar?

Two other possible mistakes: I used a wooden spoon to stir the ingredients, not plastic as suggested, because we don't have one. Along with all the other equipment I had washed the wooden spoon in bleach water and rinsed it.

And we're using a borrowed glass carboy which only holds 19 litres, and the kit makes 23 litres. So we only put 19 litres water in the bucket, which leave a lot of headroom.

This kit is supposed to be foolproof. Does that make me a fool? :) I suppose time will tell, but if there's something I can do now to correct the wine, or not do in the future to prevent problems, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Comments (6)

Sponsored