SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

First time from kit: cloudy = vinegar?

paulns
15 years ago

We're making Sauvignon Blanc from a kit. After we started it the outdoor temperature plummeted, the room got down to 60F or so and the yeast wouldn't work. So after a few days we moved the bucket near the wood stove (our only heat source). The yeast started working. The ambient temp went up to 75-80F. The wine went very cloudy. Not wanting to keep disturbing the bucket we waited a couple days then moved it to a cooler place, 60-70F. The wine is on day 12 of the 14 recommended in the primary, and it is super cloudy. Does this mean it's turning to vinegar?

Two other possible mistakes: I used a wooden spoon to stir the ingredients, not plastic as suggested, because we don't have one. Along with all the other equipment I had washed the wooden spoon in bleach water and rinsed it.

And we're using a borrowed glass carboy which only holds 19 litres, and the kit makes 23 litres. So we only put 19 litres water in the bucket, which leave a lot of headroom.

This kit is supposed to be foolproof. Does that make me a fool? :) I suppose time will tell, but if there's something I can do now to correct the wine, or not do in the future to prevent problems, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!