Return to the Wine Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are you using to ferment your fruit in?

Posted by berk (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 30, 09 at 7:40

Hello, Just wondering what sort of container you are using for fermenting your fruit in.
We have a 15 gal. crock for now but have borrowed it from a friend.
Our friend has now decided he would like to try making wine too so we need to return it to him.
The problem is the place he bought it no longer sells them and I have no idea what else I could use.
We make 5-6 gallons at a time.
Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are you using to ferment your fruit in?

berk, A food grade plastic bucket is what I use. Any winemaking equipment store has them. I take it that your from Missouri as your page indicates. Here is a link from you state...There are cheaper one available..

Here is a link that might be useful: Fermenting bucketl

o

Thanks for the link and I will show it to my husband. I had never seen a bucket one like that before, so it may be just what we need now.

o

I use food grade plastic buckets that I get free from a bakery. They get icing in 3 gal. buckets. After cleaning thoroughly they work fine and the price is right. Check with bakeries, restaurants, etc. in your area. You can find them in 5 gal. also. Just stay away from pickle buckets....hard to gtet the pickle smell out.

o

I use 55gal. barrels that have only had carmel coloring in them, no flavorings. I cut the inside of the top out and use a sheet to keep fruit flys out.

o

Yes Berk, and FOOD grade 5-gal bucket will do. Do not use a non-food grade plastic bucket, as it can not only affect the taste of your wine, but it can potentially be unsafe.

If you're in Missouri, there's quite a bit of vine country out there with wine/brew hobby stores. I used to travel to St. Louis for work and would go vinyard hoping when I had time.

Have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wine Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here