Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckeyemike42

replacing new windows

buckeyemike42
11 years ago

I am replacing all of the windows at my mom's home. Her house can't hold the heat due to these beat up old windows. I am an army wife and have a very tight budget. With my husband deployed and two kids with serious health issues, we have to watch every penny. My mom really needs these new windows, she is disable and I am all she got.

The current windows have -0- insulation.
I am replacing a bedroom window size 97 1/2 "w x 64 "h with two 36" x 36" windows. (law requires at least one bedroom window to have an opening space of 24" h x 20" w)
A dining room window size 73 1/4" w x 39 1/2" h w/one 48"w x36"h.
A bedroom window 73 1/4" w x 39 1/2" h with one 48"h x 36"w.
five windows(3 kitchen and 2 bedroom windows)size 41 1/4" w x 39 1/2" h with five windows 36" x 36".
A living room window size 97 1/2 x 64 h with two windows 48 w x 36 h .
A bathroom window 25 3/4" w x 39 1/2" with one 24" x 24" window.

I am paying a total of $1500.00 in labor,

cost for the 13 windows is $1100 plus california tax (getting them at home depot, I get 10% military discount)
They are twelve Sierra Horizontal Sliding Vinyl Window White with LowE Glass and Screen and one 24 x 24 JELD-WEN 200 Series Sliding Aluminum Window, White, with Low E Obscure Glass .
I am also paying about $300 to $500 max in additional materials for the reconstruction of the walls extra window frames space, since the new windows are smaller than the current old windows.
The total price is around $3300 for everything.
The guy who is doing the labor is awesome, he currently works for a construction company in Ventura and they work all of over Southern California. The company is taking 2 weeks off for the holiday and I am getting the windows done while the company is closed for the holidays. Extra cash for him, since he can't afford to take time off.

His boss is ok with him working for me (I spoke with his boss to avoid any conflict).
My question is:

Is this a good price? I have never replaced windows before and I am seeing some very high prices in this forum. I know this guy and trust his work.

He has done other work for me and I was extremely satisfied with the quality of his work.

He is a hard worker and very knowledgeable

Blessing
Proud army wife

Comments (5)