Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thestraightdope

Siminton Asure vs. Reflection 5500

TheStraightDope
11 years ago

Narrowed my choices to replace old windows to Simonton. I came across the "Siminton Insight" sales bulletin online which encourages promotion of the 5500 series as the "best" model, but I didn't get the impression it was a better quality window worth the extra dollar difference. My question is other than the narrow style, and options, is there any difference between basic Asure and basic 5500 in how constructed or the energy efficiency? Seems like I could go with the Asure with prosheild and basically get a 5500 at better cost. I dont need the 5500 options. Any insights?

Comments (14)

• TheStraightDope
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought the Simonton marketing materials took a humorous approach. I wonder if that was intentional! I looked at big box stores (Anderson/Pella). I live in the hottest region in the US. I have an old wood siding home with 33 windows, so cost is a factor. What other windows would you suggest for DIY?

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

the Simonton Assure previously called the 5050 is simontons entry level offering and used mostly for rental properties and house flippers as my colleague alluded to. ; the simonton assure is not geared toward the homeowner looking for a well designed/ engineered window .

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

I am not sure I would put the Asure in any large openings in a hot climate.

Probably want to stay with the 5500 and opt for sash reinforcement.

DIY windows are a tricky bunch. Of the big box store ones, Simonton (upper level) is probably as good as any.

After that, check with your local supply houses.

• TheStraightDope
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to know. Sounds like the Asure might warp on a large window. When you say "upper, " is that a 5500 or something else? My largest window is (2) 70"x36" connected in the middle. Supply house is less exspensive. Is there another brand or series you recommend?

• PRO
    11 years ago

Where is the home located?

5500, 9800, and Prism Platinum are Simonton's upper lines.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Simonton is one of the better products that you'll find widely available for DIY. Check with some supply houses and/or local dealers that may sell to DIY'ers. Top products on my list include Okna, Himark, Softlite, Sunrise, Homeguard, and Polaris.

• TheStraightDope
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm in the gulfcoast area. I'll see if the other brands are in my area.

• TheStraightDope
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok. So, it looks like the 5500 double hung base model for about $250 ea. in the Gulfcoast market with self installation. Is this a good deal or are my expectations way off on what a really good window should cost. From what I have read on other forumns, should I be looking at reinforced sashes and foam filled cavaties?

• PRO
    11 years ago

Reinforcement is a nice option on the larger windows if the thickness on the sashes isn't super high.

Foam filled is not a must but it is nice in some cases.

That seems like a very aggressive price.

Get it with Low-e 366 in your case.

• TheStraightDope
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it was 366 glass as the 366 combo sounds familiar. What would be a fair price range for the base 5500? The 366 glass? The reinforced sash?

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Sounds like a good price. The 366 should not add a ton, although in your area he might have included that in the quote already.

• TheStraightDope
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@Windowson Washington. I may have misunderstood "aggresive price point." Did you mean the price was high or low? I am guessing low based on Homesealed's post.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Good price.