Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lordor

Newbie with ?: Window Coating for Nook in Direct Sun!

Lordor
11 years ago

HI all,
My first posting but I have read a ton on this Forum and, also, learned a ton. We are finally underway on our full home remodel and these Forums have been invaluable, so thanks in advance to everyone who participates in these forums and to everyone who responds!!! My hope after our remodel is complete is I also can start providing some feedback, once I have learned from some good decisions/mistakes myself!

So, we are using Marvin Integrity double hungs in our home remodel. My question is specifically around a new dining nook at the end of the kitchen. We will eat all of our meals here. The nook will be 10' wide by 5' deep and have five windows. Three windows are due south facing, one due east, and one due west. All the windows are 32" wide DH's.

My question is around a concern I have of sitting in this nook and getting cooked by all the sunlight. This nook will have built in seating with the windows ending at the top of the benches, so the tops of our back, shoulder and head will all be in the sun. There is very little overhang over the nook (appr. 15" overhang.) I'm worried about having a meal and sitting there for an hour and whether or not I will get heated up from the sun! My wife thinks I am over-thinking this and being too worried, am I?

Marvin Integrity's come with LowE2-272 standard with argon. They offer the 366 upgrade. But there are several other windows closeby plus a 15' folding glass door that will all have 272 coatings. We also want the room to be as bright as possible, so I'd like to keep the 272, but am concerned if I do get hot from the sun, then there is no going back!

PS...The house is in Los Angeles area, so it's sunny all the time. The nook windows have very little overhang and no trees/building to block the sun. We are about 0.5mile from the beach, so no one has A/C in this temperate climate, but the sun is still hot.

Sorry this is such a long posting, but I wanted to fully detail my situation. The window shops I spoke with don't seem to have a strong opinion on this and won't really tell me if I will get hot sitting next to a 272 window.

So, bottom line - for southern california sun, does anyone know if standard LowE-2 glass coating (272) be OK if you sit next to the window for an hour or should we upgrade to 366 and forget about if they don't match the other windows exactly?

Many thanks for your thoughts!!!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County