Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerrygw

Spacers in Marvin & Andersen?

kerrygw
15 years ago

Hi-

We are considering Marvin & Andersen windows as replacement windows in a house that we are renovating. Curious if anyone knows what type of spacers each uses? I keep reading all of these things that mention "warm edge spacers" (rather than aluminum I believe) but can't find specific info online on what each company uses. I will call the reps but I was curious if anyone else knew - thanks!

Comments (11)

• dennisgli
    15 years ago

I just had Andersen windows installed and they have "CIG" etched in the glass - I assume Cardinal Insulated Glass. And the spacers do look like stainless steel.

• kerrygw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone - I appreciate the help! Wood windows are important to us windowtech, (old house, lots of wood, etc.) so I know our options are more limited. Thanks!

• oberon476
    15 years ago

jerrygw,

Both Marvin and Andersen use Cardinal's XL spacer.

windowtech is correct that the foam spacer that his company uses is more efficient than the stainless steel spacer that cardinal uses.

Superspacer (foam) is about 2 1/2 degrees warmer at the edge than is stainless. Stainless is about 9 degrees warmer than aluminum. What does that mean in overall unit performance?

Well, comparisons are much better when they are apples to apples. The window that windowtech linked to is a triple pane, yet the comparisons to the wood windows on the site are to dual pane. Apples to oranges comparison.

Unlike the comments here and on the window site, there are in fact a number of wood windows that already meet the proposed 2012 energy star requirement and many other companies are currently adapting to meet those requirements when the time arrives.

I do not recommend or endorse any particular window companies on line and I don't compare window companies with one another. However, as a general comment, Marvin does in fact offer windows that have U-factors below .2, using the Cardinal XL spacer.

Jeld-Wen, a wood and vinyl window company you didn't happen to ask about, has several different lines that have windows with U-factors below .2 - the lowest I am aware of is a .16 - again using the Cardinal XL spacer.

Loewen, a Canadian wood window manufacturer also has windows that meet the 2012 requirements and they do it using any one of five different spacer systems (depending on the line), including SuperSpacer, Cardinal's Stainless, PPG's Intercept, and even aluminum.

In all cases, these are triple pane units with appropriate LowE coatings. I mention these three simply because they are fairly well-known and all of them have been addressed in the past on this forum. There are more.

If you want wood AND energy efficiency, you have plenty of options to choose from.

Here is a link that might be useful: NFRC

• kerrygw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks oberon for the info - it seems I have more to look at!

• dave68
    14 years ago

Just curious to know, which window did you choose to go with ? For I am also in the market for windows and have been considering Marvin as on of our choices.

• Ad_man_PA_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I purchased the Andersen "Renewal" windows. My home is only 6 years old and my original windows were vinyl. Needless to say, they were crap. Of the 11 windows in my house, 3 developed fog between the glass within 6 years. I live in a mid to upper scale home, and did not expect to have this type of expense so soon.�

I looked at 9 different window companies and got quotes from all of them. I had a few more scheduled to visit, but once I saw the Andersen product, I canceled the others.�

They do use the stainless spacers. The energy efficiency is amazing. I was especially impressed by the rest of the parts of the glass, especially the gas they put into the glass. They use a blend of two gasses so the window is as efficient in 20 years as the day they were installed. All of the other window companies either prorate their warranty or exclude the gas they use.�

I also like the composite they use for their frames and sashes. Like my composite deck, it will never rot or need maintained.�

Bottom line, I would never use vinyl again. One thing that helped me decide against vinyl was reading http://www.vinyl-windows.org/

One last thing, be ready to order when the Andersen representative visits. They gave me a really nice discount for ordering while they were in my home. I have never bought anything from an in home salesman before, but this was an easy decision to make. The cost was a little higher than some of the others, but they were not at the top of the price scale.�

Good luck and happy window shopping.�

• millworkman
    13 years ago

My major problem with Renewal by Andersen is their "Tin Man" sales approach. I personally would never purchase from a company that used high pressure take it or leave NOW, sales tactics with discounts being used as a carrot to entice you further.

• websnooper
    13 years ago

John Q....i.e...Andersen salesman.

Your response is as pathetic as your approach. The RBA window is average...at best and completely not worth what they/you overcharge for.

That stupid link you posted about vinyl "facts" is also laughable. There isn't a single fact on that page.

I can name 10 vinyl windows off the top of my head that have better thermal, structural, and warranty performance than the touted RBA window.

If the RBA material is so superior, why don't you tell all the readers what the warranty on that material is?

10 years...wow. Only 10 years where nearly every vinyl window company will give you a minimum of 20 years. Interesting...

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

I wonder what it is about the "culture" of the Andersen salesperson that makes them so deceptive. Why do they, more than any other window company, feel they need to pose as consumers in order to foster a positive image of their company. Shouldn't a company's products and reputation speak for itself without the deceptions?

• dennisgli
    13 years ago

Yeah, I thought it was sad that somebody would try that - until I got to "One last thing, be ready to order when the Andersen representative visits. They gave me a really nice discount for ordering while they were in my home." I just had to laugh at that point. So obvious.

And as for http://www.vinyl-windows.org/ - why don't they want us to know anything about their "organization"?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!