Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How hard is it to put screens on an old window?

Posted by swampwiz (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 23:21

I will be buying an old house that has 14 windows - all of them without screens. I would prefer to get new energy efficient windows, but I don't have the cash. However, I would like to get screens on them, so I can open them up without worrying about bugs.

I've never had windows without screens before, so I'm not sure how difficult (read expensive) it would be to add them. I suppose that Home Depot or whatever could make screens of any size, but I'm wondering how they would be attached to the window.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How hard is it to put screens on an old window?

They can be made by custom window companies. They usually hang from hooks on the exterior and are hooked at the bottom to eyelets on the interior side.

o

Depending on how old, as well as your local building practices at the time, there may be a "groove" on the exterior of the moldings that is just about the right size to hold a screen. If so, cleats would be able to hold them from the outside, if accessible, or hooks from the inside if not.

I would recommend against box stores and pay the modest premium to have a local screen shop make them for you, especially if they are of any significant size.

o

I guess that I'll just call up a local window dealer and ask him to make them. He should be able to do that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here