Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maurice2009

hurd, marvin, loewen, or semco?

maurice2009
14 years ago

im building a pretty large house in new jersey. the foundation is in. my architect called for marvin windows. marvin is quoting a very high price. my GC recommends semco windows. we definitely want to go with the clad window as opposed to wood. does anyone have any suggestions? semco quoted us $100k including install.

Comments (4)

• macv
    14 years ago

It is pointless to compare brand names. They all make many types, models and configurations of windows in many price ranges.

Try pricing the doors separately; there's no reason to get everything from the same manufacturer.

Try a different supplier of the Marvin windows.

I would suggest other options but I don't know what kind of windows you are looking for.

Your architect should be familiar with the design and the local market and should be able to give you better advice than anyone here.

Semco isn't sold in my area so I know nothing about them but they don't seem to be well thought of on the Bob Vila web site.

• afsa
    14 years ago

What type of windows, dbl hungs casements, tilt-n-turns, pushout casements, inswing casements?

What type of doors. sliding, hinged?

Any architectural shapes?

Mahogany,Pine,Fir?

How many units?

Lite Cut, SDL, TDL One lite?

What type of install, vycor wrap, stainless steel pans under doors?

It is impossible for anyone on here to know anymore that what you stated without these questions and many more being answered

• afsa
    14 years ago

Also I have sold Hurd in the past and would not recommend them ever again

• hey_starfish
    14 years ago

I own Loewen windows and would recommend them or the Marvins highly. I'll bet close to 25% of your home's exterior is probably windows. Purchasing good windows now for new construction is much less expensive than having to redo sub-par performing windows again in a few years.

Knowing from what I have learned the hard way is that if my new home contractor was recommending Hurd or Semco I would run far away from him as I quickly as I could. Never will I make that mistake again.

If your plan calls for $100K of the cheap windows you probably have the financial means to purchase the better materials. You will never be disappointed that you purchased the best windows.